Littleton What is in news : Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has handed over the first deliverable Firing Unit (FU) of Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) System to Indian Air Force (IAF)
slowest Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM)
- Advanced network centric combat Air Defence System
- Jointly developed by DRDO and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) in collaboration with Indian industry consisting of private and public sectors as well as MSMEs
- Surface-to-air-missile, 4.5m in length
- Provides point and area air defence for ground assets against threats like fighter aircraft, helicopters, UAVs, sub-sonic & supersonic cruise missiles guided & unguided munitions, etc
- Capable of engaging multiple targets at ranges up to 70 kms in severe saturation cases
- Powered by indigenously developed rocket motor and control system which helps in achieving high manoeuvrability during the terminal phase.
Firing Unit: Firing unit of MRSAM comprises of Missiles, Mobile Launcher Systems (MLS), Combat Management System (CMS), Advanced Long-Range Radar, Reloader Vehicle (RV), Mobile Power System (MPS), Radar Power System (RPS), and Field Service Vehicle (FSV).