Published on: September 13, 2021
What is in news : Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has handed over the first deliverable Firing Unit (FU) of Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) System to Indian Air Force (IAF)
Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM)
- Advanced network centric combat Air Defence System
- Jointly developed by DRDO and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) in collaboration with Indian industry consisting of private and public sectors as well as MSMEs
- Surface-to-air-missile, 4.5m in length
- Provides point and area air defence for ground assets against threats like fighter aircraft, helicopters, UAVs, sub-sonic & supersonic cruise missiles guided & unguided munitions, etc
- Capable of engaging multiple targets at ranges up to 70 kms in severe saturation cases
- Powered by indigenously developed rocket motor and control system which helps in achieving high manoeuvrability during the terminal phase.
Firing Unit: Firing unit of MRSAM comprises of Missiles, Mobile Launcher Systems (MLS), Combat Management System (CMS), Advanced Long-Range Radar, Reloader Vehicle (RV), Mobile Power System (MPS), Radar Power System (RPS), and Field Service Vehicle (FSV).