Published on: November 5, 2022
Why in news?
Tanzania’s army has deployed hundreds of troops to help firefighters who have been battling a blaze on Africa’s highest peak, Mount Kilimanjaro
- It is a dormant volcano in Tanzania.
- It has three volcanic cones: Kibo, Mawenzi, and Shira.
- It is the highest mountain in Africa and the highest single free-standing mountain above sea level in the world.
- It is the highest volcano in Africa and the Eastern Hemisphere.
- Kilimanjaro is the fourth most topographically prominent peak on Earth.
- It is part of Kilimanjaro National Park and is a major hiking and climbing destination.
- Its parent range is the Eastern Rift mountains.