Published on: March 10, 2022
MT. MERAPI OF INDONESIA
Mt. Merapi of Indonesia is a volcano that erupted recently
- Merapi (Mountain of Fire) is the most active of Indonesia’s 130 active volcanoes
- It rises to 2,911 metres and has steep slopes with dense vegetation on its lower sides.
- It is located near the centre of the island of Java and Indonesia’s cultural capital, Yogyakarta.
- Mt Merapi’s last significant eruption was in 2010. At that time, more than 300 people were killed and some 2,80,000 residents were forced to evacuate the surrounding areas
VOLCANOES IN INDONESIA
- Part of Pacific Ring of Fire
- The Ring of Fire, also referred to as the Circum-Pacific Belt, is a path along the Pacific Ocean characterized by active volcanoes and frequent earthquakes