Published on: October 13, 2021
NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION
insensately What is in news : 28th anniversary of NHRC recently celebrated
- Statutory body
- Established – 12th October, 1993
- Under the Protection of Human Rights Act (PHRA), 1993
- It is the watchdog of human rights in the country, i.e. the rights related to life, liberty, equality and dignity of the individual guaranteed by Indian Constitution or embodied in the international covenants and enforceable by courts in India.
- Act also provides for the creation of the State Human Rights Commission as well.
- The chairperson is a retired chief justice of India or a judge of the Supreme Court.
- They are appointed by the President on the recommendations of a six-member committee consisting of:
- Prime Minister (head)
- Speaker of the Lok Sabha
- Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha
- Leaders of the Opposition in both the Houses of Parliament
- Union Home Minister.
- Term and removal:
- Three years or until age of 70 years, whichever is earlier.
- The President can remove them from the office under specific circumstances.