Published on: December 28, 2021
NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER
http://kirstincronn-mills.com/?p=455 Vikram Misri former Ambassador to China has been appointed Deputy National Security Adviser
NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL
- Executive government agency
- Tasked with advising the Prime Minister’s Office on matters of national security and strategic interest.
- Established by the former Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee on 19 November 1998
- Brajesh Mishra as the first National Security Advisor.
- Prior to the formation of the NSC, these activities were overseen by the Principal Secretary to the preceding Prime Minister.
- Members –
- National Security Advisor (NSA
- Deputy National Security Advisors
- Ministers of Defence, External Affairs, Home, Finance of the Government of India
- Vice Chairman of the NITI Aayog are members of the National Security Council.
- PM can chair the meeting of NSC (for eg – PM chaired the meeting of NSC Post Pulwama to discuss heightened tension with Pakistan).
- Other members may be invited to attend its monthly meetings, as and when it is required.
- The NSC is the apex body of the three-tiered structure of the national security management system in India.
- The three tiers are the Strategic Policy Group, the National Security Advisory Board and a secretariat from the Joint Intelligence Committee.