Mayahi Why in news? permeably Chief Minister of Karnataka announced the next 10 years will be declared as Neeravari Dasahaka (irrigation decade), special impetus would be given to major projects for irrigation
- The state has set a target of bringing 40.66 lakh hectares under irrigation of that remaining 10.66 lakh hectares of dry land will be brought under irrigation in the next 10 years.
- The NLBC modernisation work is launched by Prime Minister Modi with the financial assistance of the State and Union Government
About Narayanpur Left Bank Canal (NLBC)
- Located at Kodekal in Hunasagi taluk of Yadgiri district across river Krishna
- It will be Asia’s largest SCADA-enabled project and that is also included under Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP)
- The GIS-based supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) crest gates for NLBC will help in judicious and effective use of water.
- The technology will ensure water reaches to fields in Vijayapura, Kalaburagi and Yadgir districts
Other Irrigational Programme
- Previous budget Irrigation saw highest allocation the sector has seen in the past four year
- Significant amount of funds are allotted to Upper Krishna Project Stage-3, Upper Bhadra and Yettinahole drinking water projects.
- Rs 1,000 crore each has been set aside for Kalasa-Banduri project and the Tungabhadra balancing reservoir proposed in Koppal district
- Diesel subsidy of Rs 250 per acre will be given to farmers up to a maximum of five acres through DBT under a new scheme Raitha Shakti to encourage the use of farm machinery
- Government approved Devatkal lift irrigation project
- The full form of SCADA is the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition. It is a computer system designed to collect real-time data and interpret it.
- It also covers sensors and other devices, such as programmable logic controllers, which interface with process plant or machinery.
- In the 1960s, for the first time, SCADA systems were being used.
- SCADA regulates the operation of machinery engaged in manufacturing, processing, manufacturing, growth and more.
- It is used for infrastructural procedures like the distribution of gas and oil, distribution of electric energy, distribution of water, and much more.
- Thus, to a significant extent, it has a limited human intervention.