Published on: November 19, 2022
Panchayats Extension to Scheduled Areas Act (PESA )
broadside Why in news?
http://carlabaz.com/shop/?orderby=menu_order Madhya Pradesh notifies PESA Rules on the occasion of Janjatiya Gaurav Divas
- The act will empower the Gram Sabhas to take decision on the rules and regulations with regard to all natural resources in the forest areas.
- The PESA Act will give more constitutional rights to the tribal people to reap the benefits of natural resources from the forest areas where they live.
- Parent Organization :Ministry of Panchayati Raj
- Reason for the act: To bring the people residing in Fifth Schedule Areas to the mainstream
- Constitutional Backup: Parliament, in terms of Article 243M(4)(b) of the Constitution, has enacted PESA to extend Part IX of the Constitution
- Power for laws regulations: State Legislatures with certain exceptions and modifications
What is PESA?
- PESA is an Act to provide for the extension of the provisions of Part IX of the Constitution relating to the Panchayats to the Scheduled Areas.
- In terms of Act, “Scheduled Areas” means the Scheduled Areas as referred to article 244 of the Constitution.
- Out of the ten PESA States, eight States namely; Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Telangana have framed and notified their State PESA Rules under their respective State Panchayati Raj Acts.