Published on: June 10, 2023
Why in news? The Karnataka state government allowed the parental leave facilitates for single male parent employed in government sector with immediate effect
- The government permitted a maximum of six months (180 days) of parental leave to single male parents.
- A single male parent is defined to include unmarried individuals, divorced men, and widowers.
- The order also states that if a single male employee marries during his childcare leave period, the leave entitlement will be automatically revoked.
- In 2021, the State government had notified an order allowing its employees who adopt children to avail of maternity and paternity leaves on a par with biological parents.
- Earlier in 2021, Karnataka announces 6-month child care leave for government women employees
Provision from union government
- The Union government had sanctioned the inclusion of single male parents under the ambit of childcare leave.
- Subsequently, an order was issued stating that male government employees who are single parents, will be entitled to childcare leave.
- This leave is approved to be granted at 100% of leave salary for the first 365 days and 80% of leave salary for the next 365 days.