Published on: October 6, 2023
Why in news? Bescom and KREDL float tender for solarisation of agriculture feeders under PM Kusum Yojana
- It is a first of its kind project in the Karnataka under Component C (Individual Pump Solarisation) of PM Kusum Yojana
- Project will receive 30% subsidy for the solar plants from the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE).
- KREDL will solarise agri feeders at substation levels on behalf of Hubballi Electricity Supply Company (Hescom) and Chamundeshwari Electricity Supply Corporation (CESC)
- BESCOM will also provide power to separate IP sets.
What are the features of the project?
- The solarised agri feeders will have efficient power supply while also helping Escoms cut down transmission costs.
- The bidders selected for the commissioning of the project would have to work through Renewable Energy Service Company (RESCO) mode for 25 years
- RESCO will take care of selection of power generators, Build, Own and Operate (BOO), Installation, and Maintenance.
About PM Kusum Scheme
- Full form: Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Uttham Mahabhiyan.
- Launched by: the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE)
- Aim: to provide clean energy to more than 3.5 million farmers by solarising their agriculture pumps and allowing farmers to up 10 GW distributed solar projects.
- Farmers can sell electricity generated from solar panels.
- Fund: Government will provide 60% subsidy to the farmers and 30% of the cost will be given by the government in the form of a loan
Components of the scheme :
- Component A- Aims to install grid-connected ground-mounted solar power plants (up to 2 MW) aggregating to a total capacity of 10 GW
- Component B- Install 1.75 million standalone solar pumps
- Component C- Solarize 1 million grid connected agricultural pumps