Saint-Benoît Why in news?
otherwise The Union Cabinet approved an extension to the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban so that the houses sanctioned under the scheme can be completed.
About the scheme:
- The scheme was launched in 2015 with the aim of constructing over 112 crore homes in urban areas by August 15, 2022. The Cabinet approved an extension till December 31, 2024 so that the houses already sanctioned are completed.
- While the initial demand for houses was 112 crore, the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has so far sanctioned 122.69 crore houses, of which 102.59 crore have been grounded and 61.77 crore have delivered as on August 1.
- The Mission addresses urban housing shortage among the EWS/LIG and MIG categories including the slum dwellers by ensuring a pucca house to all eligible urban households by the year 2022, when Nation completes 75 years of its Independence.
- PMAY(U) adopts a demand driven approach wherein the Housing shortage is decided based on demand assessment by States/Union Territories.
- State Level Nodal Agencies (SLNAs), Urban Local Bodies (ULBs)/ Implementing Agencies (IAs), Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) and Primary Lending Institutions (PLIs) are main stakeholders who play an important role in implementation and success of PMAY(U).
- The Mission covers the entire urban area consisting of Statutory Towns, Notified Planning Areas, Development Authorities, Special Area Development Authorities, Industrial Development Authorities or any such authority under State legislation which is entrusted with the functions of urban planning & regulations.
- All houses under PMAY(U) have basic amenities like toilet, water supply, electricity and kitchen.
The Mission promotes women empowerment by providing the ownership of houses in name of female member or in joint name. Preference is also given to differently abled persons, senior citizens, SCs, STs, OBCs, Minority, single women, transgender and other weaker & vulnerable sections of the society.