Why in news?
A.P. and Telangana to survey Polavaram backwater effect
- A survey conducted by an expert committee set up by Telangana recently has found that storage of water at full would result in submergence of an additional six villages.
- It is an under construction multi-purpose irrigation project on the Godavari River in the Eluru District and East Godavari District in Andhra Pradesh.
- The project has been accorded National project status by the Central Government of India.
- back water spreads into parts of Chhattisgarh and Odisha States.
- It gives major boost to tourism sector in Godavari Districts as the reservoir covers the famous Papikonda National Park, Polavaram hydroelectric project (HEP) and National Waterway 4 are under construction on left side of the river.
- Purpose: Transferred from the Godavari River basin to the Krishna River basin.
- It is India’s second longest river after the Ganges river and drains into the third largest basin in India
- It is dubbed as the Dakshina Ganga
- Location : Brahmagiri Mountain, Trimbakeshwar, Nashik, Maharashtra.
- States: Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha
- Mouth: Bay of Bengal, Antarvedi, Andhra Pradesh
Left : Banganga, Kadva, Shivana, Purna, Kadam, Pranahita, Indravati, Taliperu, Sabari
Right: Nasardi, Pravara, Sindphana, Manjira, Manair, Kinnerasani
- National Park : Coringa mangrove forests
- Jayakwadi Bird Sanctuary
- Papikonda Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pench National Park
- Indravati National Park
- Kanger Ghati National Park
- Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary