Published on: November 7, 2022
Ram Mohan Roy
Why in news?
Dance drama based on the life of Raja Ram Mohan Roy to be organized under the theme ‘Nari Samman’ on Central Vista
- He was an Indian reformer who was one of the founders of the Brahmo Sabha in 1828, the precursor of the Brahmo Samaj and Atmiya Sabha
- He was given the title of Raja by Akbar II, the Mughal emperor.
- Roy was known for his efforts to abolish the practices of sati and child marriage.
- He is considered to be the “Father of the Bengal Renaissance” by many historians.
- He wrote Tuhfat-ul-Muwahhidin (A Gift to Monotheists) in Persian with an introduction in Arabic.
- Newspaper : A Persian paper called Mirat-ul-Akbar
Popular journal was the Sambad Kaumudi
- Educationist: In collaboration with David Hare, he set up the Hindu College at Calcutta.
- Roy found the Anglo-Hindu school, followed four years later (1826) by the Vedanta College; insisted that his teachings of monotheistic doctrines be incorporated with “modern, western curriculum.