Published on: January 26, 2023
Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar
Why in news? Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar-2023 conferred upon 11 children by President of India
- The award was formerly called the National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement, is India’s highest civilian honour for children
- It is awarded annually by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Excellence in six categories that is Art & Culture, Bravery, Innovation, Scholastic, Social Service and Sports, which deserve national recognition.
- Each awardee of PMRBP is given a medal, a cash prize of Rs.1 Lakh and a Certificate
The award has two categories:
- Bal Shakti Puraskar: Awarded to Indian citizens under the age of 18 for outstanding achievement in innovation, scholastic achievements, social service, arts and culture, bravery, or sports
- Bal Kalyan Puraskar: To individuals or organisations that have made outstanding contributions in child development, child protection, or child welfare
- The Bal Kalyan Puraskar previously the National Child Welfare Awards, was instituted by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in 1979
- The Bal Shakti Puraskar, previously the National Child Award, was instituted by the NGO Indian Council for Child Welfare in 1996.
- In 2018, the two awards were renamed and combined into the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar, administered by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.