Published on: March 18, 2023
President’s Colour Award
Why in news? President Droupadi Murmu presented the President’s Colour to INS Dronacharya, Indian Navy’s gunnery school at Fort Kochi.
- INS Dronacharya is entrusted with the training of officers and sailors of the Navy, Coast Guard and friendly foreign maritime forces on all aspects of gunnery and missile warfare.
- It forges sea warriors and equips them with the professional acumen and unyielding spirit to man our powerful warships.
- The unit is also the nodal centre for training of Sagar Prahari Bal and Navy’s centre for training in constabulary operations for several Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Nations.
- The unit is also the training authority for drill and ceremonials in the Navy and Coast Guard.
- INS Dronacharya was designated as the Centre for Excellence in Gunnery and Missile Warfare in 2004.
- The unit is affiliated with the Indian Army School of Artillery in the spirit of jointmanship.
- In recognition of the Gunnery School’s yeoman service to the nation, the President’s Colour is being awarded to INS Dronacharya
About President’s Colour Award
- The President’s Colour Award is the highest honour that can be bestowed upon any military unit of India.
- It is also known as ′Nishaan′ which is an emblem that is worn by all unit officers on the left-hand sleeve of their uniform.
- The presentation of the award or standards by the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of India (President of India) is an acknowledgement of the unit’s meritorious service.
- The ‘Standards’ are awarded to Heavy Cavalry and the ‘Guidons’ are awarded to Light Cavalry.
- In the absence of the President of India, the Vice President of India does not present colours to regiments, ships or air squadrons. The responsibility of being the guest of honour in his or her absence is prerogative of the Services Chiefs.
- When the president is absent, the federal Minister of Home Affairs or at times the Vice President or Prime Minister serves as delegate in any colour presentation ceremony to federal and/or state police forces