Why in news? The project is being implemented in collaboration between National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), Generation India Foundation (GIF) and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Project is providing ‘cloud’ skills training to 1,500 learners and connecting them to employment opportunities, under project AMBER.
- The initiative has been undertaken under the SANKALP programme of Ministry of Skill development and entrepreneurship with a focus on women to improve gender diversification in the tech industry and underprivileged groups.
- Learners take part in Amazon web services, a workforce development program for unemployed and underemployed individuals, that covers fundamental AWS cloud skills with practical career tips, including resume writing and interview preparation.
About the project
- It is the joint initiative of the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) under the aegis of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and Generation India Foundation .
- The project is Co-funded by MSDE (under the SANKALP program) and private philanthropy to train to train 30,000 youth, 50% of whom will be women.
Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP)
- It was launched on 19th January, 2018 with an implementation period till March, 2023.
- SANKALP is a World Bank loan assisted scheme with the present agreement between Government of India and the World Bank for $250 million (Rs. 1650 Crore).
- The releases(disbursement) from the World Bank to Government of India is upon achievement of the agreed Disbursement Linked Indicators (DLIs).
- It has three result areas namely (i) Institutional Strengthening at National, State and District level; (ii) Quality Assurance of skill development programmes; and (iii) Inclusion of marginalized population in skill development programmes.