Published on: May 9, 2023
Why in news? The Indian Army is working on “digitalization and automation” of its information and data sharing, not only to keep them secure but also make them work fast too.
- The initiatives pertaining to systems, processes and functions are going on which will make them efficient, outcome-oriented and reduce manpower.
- A number of secure automation projects are underway which are aimed at enhancing not only the operational efficiency but also our human resource management, logistics, inventory management, medical services, other administrative functions and functional efficiency.
- The Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) Ghaziabad is the project’s system integrator; it has shown 95-96% success under validations in various terrain and conditions and has been found to meet the aspirations of the Army.
Measures taken by the government
- For improvement of the network for these projects, operationalization of the secure project Network for Spectrum (NFS) has been carried out. Further, the Army is setting up captive data centres across the country and these will be fully operational this year.
- Automation projects: These are aimed at enhancing operational efficiency, HR management, logistics and medical services
- Project Sanjay: It’s a new Battlefield Surveillance System (BSS) that will be deployed soon for which extensive validation has been done
- Integrated surveillance: Under BSS, the aim is to have surveillance centres for all field formations by December 2025. That will integrate thousands of sensors which will enable the provision of an integrated surveillance
- SAMA is being developed to provide situational awareness to commanders and staffers at all levels. It will present a comprehensive battlefield picture based on authorizations and roles.
- The Combat Information Decision Support System is being redesigned as the Army Information and Decision Support System, which will integrate inputs from all operational and managerial information systems.
- E-Sitrep will focus on situational reporting over an enterprise-class GIS platform.
- Project Avgat is inspired by PM Gati Shakti, which aims to bring multi-domain spatial awareness on a single GIS platform.
- Project Anumaan is an initiative in collaboration with the National Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF) to receive customised weather forecasts for its components.
- Project INDRA: INDRA stands for Indian Army Data Repository and Analytics. It will manage a database of junior commissioned officers and other personnel across 47 Record Offices.