Published on: November 1, 2022
Why in news?
The state police busted an inter-State smuggling racket and arrested people and recovered red sanders . The red sanders were smuggled from Andhra Pradesh and were being sold in Karnataka.
About Red sanders?
- Red sanders, red saunders, Yerra Chandanam, Chenchandanam, red sandalwood, Rakta Chandana, and saunderswood, is endemic to the southern Eastern Ghats mountain range of South India.
- This tree is valued for the rich red colour of its wood. The wood is traditionally considered not aromatic.
- However, in recent years there has been a marked uptick in the use of red sandalwood as a component of incense, especially in the west.
- Distribution: It is distributed in peninsular India and Sri Lanka. It occurs gregariously in patches in tropical dry deciduous forests, towards south eastern Ghats mainly in Andhra Pradesh.
- Climate and soil : Well-drained red soils with gravelled loam. It regenerates well in dry hot climate and requires rainfall ranging from 800 mm to 1000 mm annually for good growth.
- Conservation status: Endangered species by the IUCN. It is also listed in the appendix II of the CITES, which means that a certificate is required in order to export it