Published on: October 2, 2021
RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP
What is in news : The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has simplified the process for Indians who want to renounce their citizenship.
- Provisions have been made for applicants to upload documents online, with an upper limit of 60 days for the renunciation process to be completed.
- In 2018, the MHA revised the Form XXII under the Citizenship Rules for declaration of renunciation of citizenship, which for the first time included a column on “circumstances/reasons due to which applicant intends to acquire foreign citizenship and renounce Indian citizenship”.
CITIZENSHIP ACT, 1955:
MODES OF ACQUISITION OF CITIZENSHIP
- By Birth: The grant of citizenship under this clause is subject to changes according to amendments in place at that time.
- By registration: Citizenship can be acquired by registering.
- By Descent: Similar to citizenship by descent this provision also was subjected to changes from time to time
- By Naturalization.
- By Incorporation of territory.
MODES OF LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP
- Renunciation – to voluntarily give up citizenship.in addition to if person terminated his citizenship ,minor of that person will also loses his citizenship .
- Termination – upon acquiring citizenship of one country, Indian citizenship is terminated
- Deprivation -it is mandatory for the central government to cancel the Indian citizenship deprived under the following ways:
- if acquired by fraud
- Disloyalty to constitution
- Unlawfully communicated with enemy alien.
- Resident outside India for 7 years continuously.
- Within 5 years of acquiring citizenship through naturalization and registration, person was imprisoned for 2 years in any country.