Published on: March 1, 2023
Why in news? Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a new airport in Shivamogga.
- It was named after Kuvempu, the first Kannada writer to win the Jnanpith Award and who hails from Shivamogga.
- The Then Chief Minister of Karnataka, B. S. Yediyurappa, laid the foundation stone to start the construction of the airport
- The facility has been developed at a cost of around Rs 450 crore.
- The lotus shaped passenger terminal building of the airport can handle 300 passengers per hour.
- It will also improve connectivity and accessibility to Shivamogga and other neighbouring areas in the Malnad region like Shivamogga, Chikkamagaluru and Hassan.
- The runway of the Shivamogga airport is 3,200 metre in length, the second-longest in Karnataka after Bengaluru airport.
- The airport was to be built under Public–private partnership (PPP) with the Government of Karnataka.
- This airport is only airport in mid Karnataka
- The airport is designed to operate Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 type aircraft.
- Recently, the Shivamogga airport’s landing strip was tested by the Indian Air Force with a successful landing attempt with a passenger jet.
- Over the past few years, the government has been taking various initiatives, especially the UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik) scheme, to boost the regional air connectivity.