Published on: October 1, 2021
What is in news : Google Doodle celebrates SIVAJI GANESAN
- Bangalore based artist Noopur Rajesh Choksi has illustrated this doodle.
- Hailed as India’s first method actor, Sivaji Ganesan was born on October 1, 1928, in Villupuram, a town in Tamil Nadu.
- At the age of 7, Ganesan left home in order to join the theatre. He started with playing children’s characters in his early days.
- However, he attained superstardom when he played the role of 17th-century Indian king Sivaji in a play, in 1945. Everyone started calling him Sivaji Ganesan after this play. Born as Ganesamoothy, he started ruling the hearts of people with his screen name. “This regal stage name stuck and Ganesan carried the crown as “Sivaji” as he conquered the world of acting,” reads the Google doodle blog dedicated to Ganesan.
- Having made a name for himself in theatre, Sivaji Ganesan made his online debut with the film ‘Parasakthi’, released in 1952. Being known for his expressive voice and diverse performance, Sivaji did around 300 films in a career spanning over five decades. Because of his diverse performance in Tamil cinema, he became one of the world’s most popular actors.
- In 1960, Ganesan made history as the first Indian performer to win Best Actor at an international film festival for his historical movie Veerapandiya Kattabomman.
- In the year 1995, Sivaji was honoured with Chevalier of the National Order of the Legion of Honour, the highest decoration of France.
- In 1997, the Indian government gave him Dadasaheb Phalke Award.