Published on: January 11, 2022
SNIPPETS – 11 JANUARY 2022
- Kannada writer and activist Chandrashekhar Patil, popular as Champa, passed away.
- Former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh’s party gets it symbol. An electoral or election symbol is a standardized symbol allocated to a political party used by the parties during their campaigning and are shown on Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs), where the voter chooses the symbol and votes for the associated party. It was introduced in Election Symbols (Reservation and Allotment) Order, 1968
- Justices D.Y. Chandrachud and A.S. Bopanna of the Supreme Court recused themselves from hearing a dispute among the States of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka on the allocation of the Krishna river water.
- The analysis by NCAP Tracker, a joint project by news portal ‘Carbon Copy’ and a Maharashtra-based start-up ‘Respirer Living Sciences’, designed to track India’s progress in achieving the clean air targets, ranked Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh as the most polluted city out of the 132 non-attainment cities with highest levels of PM 2.5 and PM 10 (particulate matter that is 10 microns or less in diameter).NCAP was launched in 2019
- Ace rider Fouaad Mirza, golfers Anirban Lahiri, Aditi Ashok and Diksha Dagar and Alpine Skier Mohammed Arif Khan are among the 10 athletes added by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports’ Mission Olympic Cell (MOC) to the list of athletes who would be provided support under the Target Olympic Podium Scheme.