Published on: January 21, 2022
SNIPPETS 21 JANUARY 2022
- Karnataka government celebrates death anniversary of Dr Shivakumara Swamiji as Dasoha Day on January 21 every year
- Government of Karnataka celebrated the birth anniversary of Ambigara Chaudayya on 21 Janauary.
- The Supreme Court upheld the constitutional validity of reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBC) candidates in the All India Quota seats for the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) for undergraduate and postgraduate medical and dental courses, noting that “reservation is not at odds with merit” in open competitive examinations.
- Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs has written to Home Minister and urged the government to consider “legislative action”, including amendments to the IPC and CrPC, to deal with all manifestations of hate speech.
- On the Statehood Day of Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura (21st January), Prime Minister and other leaders praised the traditions and culture of the three northeast states.
- ISRO successfully conducted a 25-second qualification test for its liquid propellant-based Vikas engine to be used under the Gaganyaan mission.
- The supersonic cruise missile BrahMos with increased indigenous content and improved performance was successfully flight-tested from the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha
- The eternal flame of Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate, which has not been extinguished for 50 years, will be put off on Friday, as it will be merged with the flame at the National War Memorial. The flame of Amar Jawan Jyoti was established to pay tributes to the soldiers who had died in the 1971 war. It was inaugurated by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on Republic Day 1972.