SNIPPETS – 21 June 2022
http://tiffaneejacob.com/wp-json/wp/v2/tags/113 Mysuru hosted the main event of the 8th edition of International Day of Yoga (IDY) with a mass yoga demonstration after a gap of two years. It was the first International Day of Yoga (IDY) public event after the outbreak of COVID-19.There have been no yoga demonstrations in public in India since 2020 due to curbs on mass gatherings owing to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Karnataka had conceived the idea of palm oil mission about 35 years ago, though it did not succeed due to various reasons. Experts suggest that Karnataka should revive the mission as it has a conducive environment for oil palm cultivation which can also contribute to increasing farmers’ incomes.
- The Finglas Wayanad District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) is preparing to launch kayaking, an adventure tourism-cum-sports activity, in more water bodies in the district. The sports activity is being experimented in a river for the first time in the district
- Andhra Pradesh is set to take up transit oriented development (TOD), a form of compact, pedestrian and non-motorised vehicle (NMV) friendly development that promotes mixed land use along the mass transit corridors in the urban areas.
- Dragonfly enthusiasts have recorded the presence of a rare dragonfly that was hitherto unseen in Kerala. Spiny Horntail discovered in Kottiyoor forests of Kannur
- The world’s largest recorded freshwater fish, a giant stingray, has been caught in the Mekong River in Cambodia, according to scientists from the Southeast Asian nation and the United States
- The Noolpuzha Family Health Centre (FHC), which caters to the health care of the State’s second largest tribal grama panchayat, has been selected for the National Quality Assurance Certification (NQAC) process for the second consecutive time.
- According to the World Gold Council (WGC) report titled ‘Gold refining and recycling’, India has emerged as the fourth largest recycler in the world and the country has recycled 75 tonnes in 2021
- The Indian Coast Guard Region (East) inducted the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Mark-III, indigenously developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), in Chennai
- Amrita’ oil barge from the Kerala Shipping and Inland Navigation Corporation (KSINC) is ready for service.
- The United Nations has designated June 20 as World Refugee Day to honour forcibly displaced people all around the world and celebrate their strength and courage.For the 2022 edition of World Refugee Day, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) has decided to focus on the right of refugees to seek safety.
- China says it has successfully conducted a midcourse missile interception test, a move that could advance its ability to withstand foreign intervention as it presses its territorial claims.
- Days ahead of the inauguration of the Padma Multipurpose Bridge, the government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has clarified that the landmark infrastructure project was not part of China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The 6.15-km-long bridge has been under construction since 2014, and Dhaka said that the project was “entirely funded” by the Government of Bangladesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, U.S. President Joe Biden, Israeli Prime Minister Neftali Bennett, and UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan would attend the first-of-its-kind virtual summit of the I2U2 grouping next month for discussions of the food security crisis and other areas of cooperation
- Ruchira Kamboj, who is currently serving as India’s envoy to Bhutan, will succeed T.S. Tirumurti as the Indian ambassador to the U.N
The 68th edition of the Nehru Trophy Boat Race (NTBR) is likely to be held on September 4. The NTBR will also be the first race of this year’s Champions Boat League (CBL).The NTBR and the CBL will be held after a pandemic-induced gap of two years. The race was last held on August 31, 2019.