Published on: May 26, 2023
Snippets : 24-25 MAY 2023
Snippets : 24-25 MAY 2023
- Five-time MLA and former Minister T. Khader, was unanimously elected as the Speaker of the Karnataka Legislative Assembly. He is the 23rd Speaker of the Legislative Assembly and the first Muslim to hold the post in Karnataka.
- A Guided City Bus Tour depicting ‘The Bengaluru Story’ and a Cultural Programme showcasing the cultural heritage of Karnataka were organized for G20 delegates of the 2nd Trade and Investment Working Group (TIWG) Meeting in Bengaluru.
- ‘Sengol’ to be installed in the new parliament building when it is inaugurated on May 28.The Sengol gets its name from the Tamil word ‘semmai’, meaning righteousness. The sceptre is a historical symbol of Independence as it signifies the transfer of power from the British to the Indians.
- India is set to dramatically scale up its supercomputing prowess and install an 18-petaflop system over the course of this year. Flops (floating point operations per second) are an indicator of processing speed of computers and a petaflop refers to a 1,000 trillion flops. Processing power to such a degree greatly eases complex mathematical calculations required, for, among other things, forecasting how the weather will be over the next few days all the way up to two or three months ahead.
- Following four successful rounds of the Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) – Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN) and with the version 5.0 of the fifth round underway, the Ministry of Civil Aviation has launched UDAN 5.1 to further enhance the connectivity to remote areas of the country and achieve last mile connectivity through helicopters.
- The AI Supercomputer ‘AIRAWAT’, installed at C-DAC, Pune has been ranked 75th in the world. It was declared so in the 61st edition of Top 500 Global Supercomputing List at the International Supercomputing Conference (ISC 2023) in Germany. It puts India on top of AI Supercomputing nations worldwide. The system is installed under National Program on AI by Government of India.
- The Seventy-sixth World Health Assembly is being held in Geneva, Switzerland, on 21–30 May 2023.
- VAdm Priyantha Perera, Commander of the Sri Lanka Navy is on a five day official visit to India. During the visit, she will be presiding over the Passing Out Parade of the Spring Term 23 at Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala. India and Sri Lanka have enhanced their interactions in the maritime domain substantially in accordance with India’s ‘Neighbourhood First Policy’ and the maritime outlook of ‘Security and Growth for All in Region’. Indian Navy cooperates with the Sri Lanka Navy through various initiatives, which include operational interactions such as the bilateral naval exercise SLINEX, hydrography, training, and other maritime avenues. In addition, warships from both the Navies regularly make port calls at each other’s ports.
- The third edition of Khelo India University Games will be held from 25th May to 3rd June in Uttar Pradesh. These competitions will be organised in Varanasi, Gorakhpur, Lucknow and Gautam Buddha Nagar. The closing ceremony of the Games will be held in Varanasi on 3rd June.The mascot of the Games is named Jitu, which represents Swamp Deer (Barasingha) – the state animal of Uttar Pradesh.
- Prime Minister will flag off the inaugural run of Vande Bharat Express from Dehradun to Delhi This will be the first Vande Bharat to be introduced in Uttarakhand. The train has been indigenously and is equipped with advanced safety features including the Kavach technology.
- Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals in collaboration with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) organized the B20 International Conference on ‘Chemicals and Petrochemicals: Sustainable transitions through Green Technologies and digitalization’ at New Delhi.
- The city of Chennai prepares to host the highly anticipated 2023 Squash World Cup. This prestigious event, organized by the Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu (SDAT) in partnership with the World Squash Federation (WSF), will showcase the world’s top squash players competing for the coveted trophy.