Published on: December 7, 2021
SNIPPETS – 7 DECEMBER 2021
- The State Election Commission (SEC) moved the Karnataka High Court against the state government for passing the Karnataka Gram Swaraj and Panchayat Raj (Amendment) Act, 2021. The new law takes away powers earlier conferred on SEC for fixing the number of seats, carrying out the exercise of delimitation, and fixing the reservation of seats for TPs and ZPs
- Around 130 contractual employees of the Indian Telephone Industries Limited (ITI) have been agitating against the company after they were terminated from service on Wednesday morning, said union leaders here. The ITI is a public sector undertaking (PSU) company headquartered in Bengaluru under the Department of Telecommunication, Ministry of Communication, Government of India.
- Kazhuveli notified as 16th bird sanctuary in Tamil Nadu. It is declared by Governor on advice of State government as per recommendations of Principal Chief Conservator of Forests and Chief Wildlife Warden under Wildlife conservation act 1972
- A tiny snail with a golden-yellow shell found in the Edappally canal in Kochi has been flagged as an invasive species. It is named as PHYSELLA ACUTA.A invasive species is one that is not native to a specific location and has a tendency to spread to a degree believed to cause damage to the environment, human economy or human health.
- Researchers have developed a chewing gum that they say can potentially reduce transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus. The chewing gum is laced with a plant-grown protein, which serves as a “trap” for the virus. The chewing gum targets the virus in the saliva, and does so by trapping it with the ACE2 protein.
- Afforestation funds released to States by CAMPA. Every time forest land is diverted for non-forest purposes such as mining or industry, the user agency pays for planting forests over an equal area of non-forest land, or when such land is not available, twice the area of degraded forest land. The funds can be used for various purposes
- Nagaland CM calls for scrapping of AFSPA that gives armed forces power to maintain public order in “disturbed areas”
- President of India visits Raigad fort and paid tributes to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. It was power centre of Shivaji and holds tomb of Shivaji
- India and Russia have signed a number of agreements, contracts and protocols covering small arms and military cooperation enhancing till 2031