Published on: October 17, 2023
Snippets:13-14 OCTOBER 2023
- The Department of Archaeology Museums and Heritage will hold a heritage walk, heritage cycling and heritage tonga ride as part of Dasara. This is to encourage the citizens to explore and apprise themselves of the built heritage of Mysuru and get a historical perspective of the monuments that dot the cityscape.
- The Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms (C-CAMP) has announced the setting up of the Centre of Excellence in Antimicrobial Resistance innovation with the SBI Foundation at Bengaluru.
- The Bannerghatta Biological Park (BBP) is hosting a zoo club to inspire young minds to connect with nature, wildlife and work towards conservation. Topics covered include captive management, in situ and ex situ conservation, animal care, behaviour and welfare. It also provides members an opportunity to interact with experts in the field and to explore careers in nature and wildlife conservation.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture of public sector undertakings (PSU) under the Ministry of Power, will set up an e-commerce portal that will exclusively feature electric appliances with the highest efficiency ratings.
- Shubman Gill was named ICC ‘Men’s Player of the Month’ for September after dominating a stretch of ODIs ahead of the World Cup.
- Cricket is all set to feature in the 2028 Olympics as the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Executive Board approved the proposal of Los Angeles Games organisers to include the sport in the programme. Apart from cricket, which will be played in T20 format for men and women, four other sports — baseball-softball, flag football, lacrosse (sixes) and squash also got the nod of the IOC Executive Board.
- Olympic and World champion javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra was named as one of the 11 nominees for the 2023 men’s ‘World Athlete of the Year’ award.
- Neeraj Chopra, the reigning Olympic, World and Asian champion in men’s javelin, named Laureus Ambassador has pledged his support to Laureus Sport for Good’s programmes.
- The Indian team has pulled out of the World Cadet chess championship scheduled to start at Sharm el Sheikh in the wake of the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict, fearing it could jeopardise the safety of the players and officials.
- Every year, on October 14, is celebrated as World Standards Day. Theme for 2023 is “Shared Vision for a Better World: Incorporating Sustainable Development Goal for Good Health and Well-Being.”
- India ranks 111 out of 125 countries in Global Hunger Index. The report is prepared by German NGO Welt Hunger Hilfe and Irish NGO Concern Worldwide
- Tamil writer Sivasankari presented with the ‘Saraswati Samman’ 2022 for her book of memoirs Surya Vamsam.
- ‘Swavalambane scheme was launched to support women-owned businesses. The NSRCEL, the startup incubator of Indian Institute of Bangalore (IIM-B), along with Karnataka State Rural Livelihood Promotion Society jointly launched the programme
- State Health Department will start Artificial Intelligence (AI) based lung cancer screening for patients in 19 district hospitals in Karnataka.
- ‘Insect Cafe’ launched at the Lalbagh botanical garden