Published on: November 21, 2022
Why in news?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi while highlighting the strong bond between Kashi and Tamil Nadu referred to links of eminent poet and freedom fighter Subramania Bharathi with the city.
About Subramania Bharati
- He was a Tamil writer, poet, journalist, Indian independence activist, social reformer and polyglot.
- Popularly known as “Mahakavi Bharathi“
- He fought for the emancipation of women, against child marriage, vehemently opposed the caste system, and stood for reforming society and religion
- Newspapers(Worked): The Hindu, Bala Bharata, Vijaya, Chakravarthini, the Swadesamitran and India.
- He paved the way for modern blank verse.
- Started editing the Tamil weekly India and the English newspaper Bala Bharatham with P.T. Acharya
- The Government of India instituted a highest National Subramanyam Bharati Award annually confers on writers of outstanding works in Hindi literature.
- Bharathi met revolutionary wing of the Independence movement like Aurobindo, Lajpat Rai and V.V.S. Aiyar,
- Assisted Aurobindo in the Arya journal and later Karma Yogi in Pondicherry.
- Work : Kuyil Pattu, Panchali Sapatham and Kannan Pattu