Published on: November 25, 2021
learn the facts here now Shortage of drug, Desferal 500 mg hits thalassaemia patients in Karnataka
- Inherited blood disorder
- Body produces an inadequate amount of haemoglobin – a protein molecule that carries oxygen in the red blood cells
- Results in the extreme destruction of red blood cells that leads to anaemia(condition in which the haemoglobin or red blood cells are less than the normal count)
- Mainly caused due to the abnormal haemoglobin synthesis
- Transferred by one of the parents who is a carrier of this disease due to either deletion of particular key gene fragments or a genetic mutation.
- Mild thalassemia requires no treatment, but acute thalassemia might require regular blood transfusions.