Published on: November 25, 2022
The Nyingma sect
Why in news?
Buddhist sect finds ‘reincarnation’ of famous Taklung Setrung Rinpoche, a scholar known for his knowledge of Tibetan Tantric school from spiti valley
- Discovery from Spiti with its cultural connection with Tibet was indicative of the contest over iconic Buddhist figures in the Himalayan ranges
About Nyingma sect
- It is the oldest of the four major schools of Tibetan Buddhism
- The school is founded on the first lineages and translations of Buddhist scriptures from Sanskrit into Tibetan in the eighth century,
- It was founded during the reign of King Trisong Detsen
- Teachings to trace back to the first Buddha Samantabhadra and Indian mahasiddhas such as Garab Dorje, Sri Siṃha and Jnanasutra.
- First monastery : Samye, Tibet.
- Ngagpas: Teachings having been passed down through networks of lay practitioners
- Termas: Important tradition of discovering and revealing “hidden treasure texts”
Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche
- He was a Tibetan lama and the Supreme Head of the Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Received the highest Dzogchen(Finding the ultimate ground of existence) teachings
- Direct disciple of Khenpo Ngakchung.