Published on: January 15, 2022
PM pays tributes to the great Thiruvalluvar on Thiruvalluvar Day
- Tamil poet
- Best known as the author of Thirukkural.
- Thirukkural is a collection of couplets on political and economic matters, ethics and love.
- No known details about the life of Thiruvalluvar. However, he is believed to have lived near Chennai between fourth and sixth century.
- In 2005, a research team from the Kanyakumari Historical and Cultural Research Centre (KHCRC) claimed that Valluvar was born in Thirunayanarkurichi, Kanyakumari. This claim was based on an old Kani tribal leader. According to the research team, Thiruvalluvar ruled the Valluvanadu territory in the hilly tracts of Kanyakumari.
- Has also written “Gnana Vettiyan” and “Pancharathnam”. These books contribute to tamil science, siddha medicines and literature.
- Thiruvalluvar day observed either on January 15 or 16 in Tamil Nadu and is a part of Pongal celebrations