TIGER CENSUS IN MM HILLS
The 11-day tiger census was conducted at Male Mahadeshwara Wildlife Sanctuary
Jastrzębie Zdrój TIGER CENSUS
WHAT – Estimation of tiger statistics in India
WHO CONDUCTS – National Tiger Conservation Authority
CONDUCTED – Once in 4 years
- Enumeration exercise entails the use of MSTRIPES (Monitoring System for Tigers Intensive Protection and Ecological Status) app and apart from the tiger counts, the exercise will also throw up data on mega herbivores, including elephants and gaurs.
- The use of apps ensures that the data is not only digitised but is uploaded on a real-time basis and is robust.
- Sign survey of tiger scat, pug marks etc., for carnivores will also be taken
- Enumeration would also throw up data of the tiger numbers in non-protected areas.
LOCATION – Chamarajanagara
SIGNIFICANCE – Major pilgrim center for Lord Shiva
- Dense evergreen forest
- Abundant resource of flora and fauna
- Great resource of sandalwoods
- Catchment area by the river Kaveri in the north-east and River Palar in the South.