Published on: September 24, 2021
- Most harmful type of fats which can have much more adverse effects on our body than any other dietary constituent.
- Largely produced artificially but a small amount also occurs naturally. Thus in our diet, these may be present as Artificial TFAs and/ or Natural TFAs.
- Formed when hydrogen is made to react with the oil to produce fats resembling pure ghee/butter.
- Sources –
- Artificial : Partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (PHVO)/vanaspati/ margarine
- Natural : Meats and dairy products
- Harmful effects:
- Higher risk of heart disease . Not only raise total cholesterol levels but also reduce the good cholesterol (HDL), which fights against heart disease.
- Increases the risk of developing heart disease and stroke.
- Higher risk of developing obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, infertility, certain types of cancers and can also lead to compromised fetal development causing harm to the yet to be born baby
What is in news : As per Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) study, India is all set and is on the right track to become industrial trans fat-free by 2022