Published on: September 13, 2021
U S – INDIA CLEAN ENERGY PARTNERSHIP
What is in news : Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and U.S. Secretary of Energy, co-chaired a virtual Ministerial meeting and launched the revamped U.S.-India Strategic Clean Energy Partnership (SCEP).
- The SCEP was launched in accordance with the U.S.-India Climate and Clean Energy Agenda 2030 Partnership announced by the Indian Prime Minister and USA’s President at the Leaders’ Summit on Climate held in April 2021.
- The revitalized SCEP emphasises on electrification and decarbonization of processes and end uses, scaling up and accelerating deployment of emerging clean energy technologies, and finding solutions for hard-to-decarbonize sectors.
- Under the SCEP, both countries agreed to collaborate across five pillars — Power and Energy Efficiency; Renewable Energy; Responsible Oil and Gas; Sustainable Growth; and Emerging Fuels.
- Emerging fuels were newly added to the list of areas of cooperation
What are Emerging Fuels?
- Emerging fuels are alternative fuels that are under development or already in use.
- Benefits: These fuels can increase energy security, reduce emissions, improve vehicle performance, and stimulate the economy.
- Examples include Biobutanol (Butyl Alcohol), Biofuels, Methanol, etc.