Published on: August 10, 2021
UJJWALA – 2
Nzega What is in news : Prime Minister is set to launch the second edition of the government’s free LPG connection scheme called Ujjwala.
buy Lyrica dubai What is new :
- First refill and a hotplate free of cost to beneficiaries
- Eased enrollment
About UJJWALA :
- Launched in May 2016.
- Aim: To provide LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) connections to poor households.
- Key features: A deposit-free LPG connection is given to eligible with financial assistance of Rs 1,600 per connection by the Centre.
- Target: The scheme gained traction with its ambit being expanded to include 80 million poor families from the earlier target of 50 million families with an additional allocation of Rs4,800 crore.
- Eligibility criteria:
- Applicant must a woman above the age of 18 and a citizen of India.
- Applicant should belong to a BPL (Below Poverty Line) household.
- No one in the applicant’s household should own an LPG connection.
- The household income of the family, per month, must not exceed a certain limit as defined by the government of the Union Territories and State Government.
- Applicant must not be a recipient of other similar schemes provided by the government.
- Objectives of the scheme are:
- Empowering women and protecting their health.
- Reducing the serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuel.
- Reducing the number of deaths in India due to unclean cooking fuel.
- Preventing young children from significant number of acute respiratory illnesses caused due to indoor air pollution by burning the fossil fuel.