Published on: December 15, 2021
UN DRAFT RESOLUTION ON CLIMATE CHANGE
India votes against UN draft resolution on climate change
- Sponsored by Ireland and Niger
- 12 UNSC members voting for it
- India and Russia voted against and China abstaining.
- Niger-holds the UNSC presidency for December
- One of the objectives of the debate was to examine how terrorism and security risks could be linked to climate change
- Aims to link UNSC to climate change
- India argued that Security Council interventions on climate change will undermine the UNFCCC process, and provide disproportionate influence to a handful of developed countries on climate change decision-making.