Published on: April 7, 2023
UN Statistical Commission
Why in news? India has been elected to the highest statistical body of the United Nations for a four-year term beginning January 1, 2024.
- A second candidate is yet to be decided between South Korea and China and the balloting process will resume later in the day (local time) for electing the remaining Asia Pacific states member.
- India was also elected for the Commission on Narcotic Drugs and the Programme Coordinating Board of the Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), an important subsidiary body of the UN organ focussed on economic, social and environmental issues.
About UN Statistical Commission
- The UN Statistical Commission, established in 1947, is the highest body of the global statistical system bringing together the Chief Statisticians from member states from around the world.
- It is the highest decision-making body for international statistical activities, responsible for setting statistical standards and the development of concepts and methods, including their implementation at the national and international levels.
- The United Nations Statistical Commission (StatCom) is a Functional Commission of the United Nations Economic and Social Council, established in 1947.
- The Statistical Commission oversees the work of the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD).
- It is an Intergovernmental organization, regulatory body and advisory board
- Its 24 member states are elected by the Economic and Social Council on the basis of geographical distribution:
The Commission shall assist the Council:
- In promoting the development of national statistics and the improvement of their comparability.
- In the coordination of the statistical work of specialized agencies.
- In the development of the central statistical services of the Secretariat.
- In advising the organs of the United Nations on general questions relating to the collection, analysis and dissemination of statistical information.
- In promoting the improvement of statistics and statistical methods generally.