What is in news : Thousands of people have fled parts of Greece due to raging uncontrolled wildfires.
What are Wildfires :
- Uncontrolled and non-prescribed combustion or burning of plants in a natural setting
- Three conditions that need to be present in order for a wildfire to burn: fuel, oxygen, and a heat source.
What’s the situation in Greece right now?
As per local media in Greece as of Tuesday, a massive wildfire continues to burn on the northern tip of Greece’s second-largest island called Evia, which is close to the mainland. The fire started on August 3 and has destroyed most of the island’s northern part.
Concerns about Wildfire :
- Forest fires can have multiple adverse effects on the forest cover, soil, tree growth, vegetation, and the overall flora and fauna.
- Fires render several hectares of forest useless and leave behind ash, making it unfit for any vegetation growth.
- Heat generated during the fire destroys animal habitats.
- Soil quality decreases with the alteration in their compositions.
- Soil moisture and fertility, too, is affected.
- Forests can shrink in size.
- The trees that survive fire often remain stunted and growth is severely affected.