Published on: October 7, 2023
World Cerebral Palsy Day
Why in news? Every year, World Cerebral Palsy(CP) Day is celebrated on October 6.
- History of the day – In 2012, the Cerebral Palsy Alliance announced celebration of the day
- Significance – This day serves as a platform to raise awareness about CP, support those living with the condition, and advocate for greater inclusion and understanding
- Theme 2023 – Together Stronger
What is cerebral palsy?
- Cerebral palsy is a term used to cover several brain conditions that develop before, during, or soon after, birth. It is not a disease but an illness.
- It is a physical disability that affects movement and co-ordination and can impact different parts of the body.
- People with cerebral palsy may also have other associated conditions including – vision, hearing, communication and mobility needs.