Published on: March 24, 2023
World Happiness Index 2023
Why in news? India has ranked 126th in the World Happiness Report 2023, showing a concerning decline in the country’s overall well-being.
- The World Happiness Report, published by the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network.
- It maps life evaluations based on factors such as income, health, emotional support, freedom of choice, generosity, and absence of corruption
- The World Happiness Report 2023 is a cause for concern, as it reflects the overall well-being of people across the world.
- The ranking of countries is based on a three-year average between 2020-2022, and the report is intended to help policymakers identify areas where improvements can be made to promote happiness and well-being.
What are the rankings of the nation across the globe?
- Finland has maintained its position as the happiest country in the world for the sixth consecutive year.
- Denmark and Iceland came in second and third, respectively.
- Israel and New Zealand were the only two non-European countries to make it into the top 10 list.
- At the very bottom of the list is Afghanistan ranked at 137th.
- The rankings are based on Gallup World Poll data for which citizens perceive their happiness themselves through questionnaire.
What is the India’s Ranking ?
- While India’s neighbour Nepal featured at 78, China at 64, and Pakistan, which is facing the worst-ever economic crisis placed at 108, India itself fared poorly, stationed at 126.
- Bangladesh was seven spots above India while Sri Lanka, five places above Bangladesh at 112.
- War-hit Russia and Ukraine have been ranked higher than India in the happiness report-2023. Russia, considered an all-weather friend of India, has been ranked at 70th position while Ukraine was 92nd in 2023 from 136 in 2022.
- Sri Lanka, which also faced the worst economic crisis recently and recovered a bit with the support of India has also been ranked 112th, better than India.