World Water Day 2023
Why in news? To highlight the importance of water and raise awareness about the global water crisis, World Water Day is being observed on March 22 every year.
- According to the United Nations, the idea behind celebrating the day is to “support the achievement of sustainable development goal (SDG) 6: water and sanitation for all by 2030.”
What is the history for a day?
- The resolution to observe World Water Day was first adopted by the UN General Assembly on December 22, 1992, after which March 22 was declared as World Water Day and is celebrated around the world since then.
- The first World Water Day was observed in the year 1993.
What is the significance of the day ?
- The main objective of the day is to aware and inspire people to sustainably manage the freshwater resources and learn more about water-related issues like water pollution, water scarcity, inadequate water, and lack of sanitation, and take appropriate steps to make a difference.
What is the theme for the year ?
- The theme for World Water Day 2023 is ‘Accelerating the change to solve the water and sanitation crisis’, emphasising the necessity of taking stern action to address the global water crisis.
What is the significance for this year ?
- The UN is also kick-starting the UN 2023 Water Conference- the first event of its kind for nearly 50 to unite the world around water from March 22-24 in New York, United States.