Published on: October 14, 2023
World Mental Health Day
Why in news? October 10 is marked annually as World Mental Health Day.
- History of the day -World Federation for Mental Health announced October 10 as World Mental Health Day in 1992
- Theme for first world mental health day was introduced in 1994 and it was “Improving the Quality of Mental Health Services Throughout the World”
- Significance-Aim was to promote mental health advocacy and educating the public on relevant issues.
- Theme 2023-“Mental Health is a Universal Human Right ”
Mental Health Initiatives
- National Mental Health Program: To encourage the application of mental health knowledge in general healthcare and in social development with community participation in the mental health service development through stimulated efforts towards self-help in the community.
- Mental HealthCare Act 2017: The act effectively decriminalized attempted to suicide which was punishable. It provides for mental healthcare and services for persons with mental illness and to protect, promote and fulfil the rights of such persons during delivery of mental healthcare and services and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
- Kiran Helpline: To provide toll free relief and support to persons with Mental Illness.
- Manodarpan: Provide psycho- social support and counselling to students for their mental health and well- being.
- Tele MANAS: It aims to provide free tele-mental health services all over the country round the clock, particularly catering to people in remote or under-served areas.