World Sparrow Day 2023
Why in news? The world observes World Sparrow Day every year on March 20 to raise awareness about the bird, it is also called as ‘Gauraya Diwas’.
- The day aims to raise public awareness about the house sparrow and other common birds in urban environments and the threats they face.
- World Sparrow Day also has a broader vision to provide a platform for people working on the conservation of the House Sparrow and other common birds can network, collaborate and exchange conservation ideas, which will lead to better science and improved results.
What is the history of World Sparrow Day ?
- World Sparrow Day is an international initiative by the Nature Forever Society (NFS) of India in collaboration with the Eco-Sys Action Foundation (France) and numerous other national and international organisations across the world.
- The first World Sparrow Day was celebrated in 2010 in different parts of the world.
What is theme of World Sparrow Day 2023?
- The theme for World Sparrows Day this year is “I Love Sparrows.”
- These words highlight the importance of cherishing and protecting these small birds.
Conservations of sparrow
- The house sparrow is listed as the Least Concern on the Red List of the IUCN.
- In 2012, the house sparrow was declared the state bird of New Delhi as part of a massive campaign to save and raise awareness about the species.