Published on: October 10, 2023
Asian Games 2023
Why in news? The 19th Asian Games came to a close on, October 8th, with a grand closing ceremony at the Hangzhou Olympic Sports Centre Stadium in China.
- Asian Games flag was handed over to the next host city.
- The 20th Asian Games will be held in Japan in 2027.
- Indian hockey captain Harmanpreet Singh and boxer Lovlina Borgohain were India’s flag-bearers during the Asian Games 2023 opening ceremony
- At closing ceremony, Sreejesh, the Indian hockey team goalkeeper, carried India’s flag.
- China topped the medal list with 383 medals and followed by Japan with 188
- India managed to top the medal table in four different events at this edition of the Asiad- archery, cricket, kabaddi and hockey
India’s Performance in the games
- The Indian contingent bagged a record 107 medals – 28 gold, 38 silver and 41 bronze in Hangzhou, surpassing their previous best, set at 2018 Jakarta.
- It became only fourth country after China , japan and South Korea to win 100 or more medals in single edition of Asian games
- India sent 655 athletes to compete in 41 disciplines at the Asian Games 2023. It was India’s largest representation at the Asian Games in the 19 editions held so far.
- Indian shooters won seven gold medals and accounted for the most gold medals for the country at Hangzhou 2023
- Athletics turned out to be the most productive sport for India at the Asian Games 2023 with a total of 29 medals – six gold, 14 silver and nine bronze.
- Indian archers, led by Jyothi Surekha Vennam and Ojas Pravin Deotale, won nine medals included five golds
- Sanjana Bathula became the youngest Indian to win a medal at the Asian Games after she won the bronze in the women’s speed skating 3000m relay event
- Jaggy Shivdasani became the oldest Indian to win an Asian Games medal at 65 years