Published on: October 10, 2023
Why in news? Prime Minister performed bhoomi poojan of ‘Veerangana Rani Durgavati Smarak aur Udyaan‘ .
- The ground breaking ceremony is in line of 500th birth anniversary celebration of Rani Durgavati
About Rani Durgavati
- Rani Durgavati was the Queen regent of Gondwana in 1550-1564 A.D.
- She served as regent of Gondwana during the minority of her son, Vir Narayan, and is chiefly remembered for defending Gondwana against the Mughal Empire.
- Born in the family of the Chandel Rajput king Shalivahan(Kirttivarman II), who ruled the Mahoba kingdom
- She was married to Rajput Dalpat Shah Kachhwaha, the adopted son of Gond King Sangram Shah.
- After her husband death, she took the leadership of Gond kingdom and defeated Bajbahadur
- Her kingdom regions of Narmada Valley and parts of Northern Madhya Pradesh.
- Mughal General, Khwaja Abdul Majid Asaf Khan and his emperor Akbar
- Asaf Khan had attacked the kingdom and initially she triumphed in the battle against Asaf Khan’s but latter defeated by them
- The Madan Mahal Fort in Jabalpur is famous for its association with the Queen Durgavati and her son, the Crown Prince Vir Narayan.
- Government of Madhya Pradesh renamed the University of Jabalpur as Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya in her memory.
- The Indian Coast Guard commissioned ICGS Rani Durgavati, the third Inshore Patrol Vessel (IPV) of its kind.
- Her martyrdom day (24 June 1564) is commemorated as “Balidan Diwas”.