C-295 aircraft facility
Why in news?
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of C-295 transport aircraft manufacturing facility – the country’s first in the private sector – in Vadodara, Gujarat.
- The facility will manufacture C-295 aircraft for the Indian Air Force (IAF) through collaboration between Tata Advanced Systems Limited and Airbus Defence and Space S.A., Spain.
- This is the first project of its kind in which a military aircraft will be manufactured in India by a private company.
- The aircraft can be used for civilian purposes as well.
- The laying of foundation stone of the first manufacturing facility of the private sector as a major milestone in the journey of ‘Aatmanirbharta’ in defence.
- Transport aircraft, manufactured at the facility, will not only strengthen the Armed Forces but also help in developing a new ecosystem of aircraft manufacturing
Where is the C295 produced and by whom?
- The C295 was originally produced by a Spanish aircraft manufacturer named Construccionaes Aeronauticcas SA. This company is now part of Airbus and the aircraft’s manufacturing takes place at Airbus’s plant in Spain
What are the roles that the C295 can perform?
- As a tactical transport aircraft, the C295 can carry troops and logistical supplies from main airfields to forward operating airfields of the country.
- It can also operate on short unprepared airstrips as it is capable of Short Take-off and Landing (STOL)
- It has a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para-dropping of troops and Short take-off and landing from semi-prepared surfaces are some other features.
- The aircraft can additionally be used for casualty or medical evacuation, performing special missions, disaster response and maritime patrol duties.