Published on: August 11, 2021
DEEP OCEAN MISSION
Nemby What is in news : Union Government has informed Parliament that it has approved Deep Ocean Mission (DOM) for 5 years during the period 2021-2026
buy Lyrica 300 mg online About Deep Ocean Mission
- The Deep Ocean Mission is proposed as multi-ministerial multi-disciplinary programme with emphasis on development of deep sea technology, exploration of deep sea mineral resources and biodiversity, acquisition of a research vessel for exploration, deep sea observations, and capacity building.
- Ministry of Earth Sciences is the nodal agency for implementing the programme.
- The Deep Ocean Mission is proposed to be a Central Sector Scheme and no separate allocation for States is envisaged.
- The funds are expected to be allocated based on the given estimates.
- It is proposed to collaborate with non-governmental organizations for research collaboration for various components of Deep Ocean Mission.
- Under Deep Ocean Mission, it is proposed to develop, test and demonstrate the mining technology for harvesting of polymetallic nodules from the Test Mine Site (TMS) in the allocated area of 75000 sq. km in the Central Indian Ocean Basin (CIOB).
- A manned submersible for 6000 m depth is also proposed to be developed as an ocean exploratory tool.