Published on: May 2, 2022
NEWS : Union Labour and Employment Ministry is working on a mechanism to process accident insurance claims by unorganised workers registered on the e-Shram portal
ISSUES WITH E SHRAM
- Tedious Process due gigantic nature of registering each worker
- Data Security issues
- By excluding workers covered by EPF and ESI, lakhs of contract and fixed-term contract workers will be excluded from the universe of UW.
- Gig workers are included by the Labour ministry while they are excluded by the other three Labour Codes creating legal confusions over the classification of gig/platform workers.
- Union chalks out the plan but states have to implement it. Differences in state capacities can create hurdles in the implementation.
- Middle service agencies such as Internet providers might charge exorbitant charges to register and print the E-Shram cards