Published on: November 26, 2021
EARTHQUAKE IN MYANMAR
A shallow and strong earthquake of magnitude 6.1 struck the Myanmar-India border region
MAHITI FOR PRELIMS
CLASSIFICATION OF EARTHQUAKES
- BASED ON LOCATION
- Interplate – An interplate earthquake is one that occurs at a plate boundary. They release less stress & are dissipated quickly because of weaker rocks near plate boundaries.
- Intraplate -An intraplate earthquake is an earthquake that occurs in the interior of a tectonic plate. They release more stress
- BASED ON FOCAL DEPTH
- Shallow focus earthquakes: Earthquakes having a depth of focus 55 km or less are known as shallow earthquakes.
- Intermediate focus earthquakes: Earthquakes having a depth of focus ranging from 55 km to 300 km.
- Deep focus earthquakes: Earthquakes, which have a depth of focus between 300 to 650 km.
3.BASED ON THE CAUSE
- Non Tectonic Earthquakes: These are due to volcanic activities and manmade reasons e.g, nuclear testing, blasts, construction of large dams, deforestation etc
- Tectonic Earthquakes: These are due to sudden slip in the fault of the tectonic plates of the earth.