Published on: December 23, 2021
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted the maiden flight test of indigenously developed surface-to-surface missile ‘Pralay’, from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha.
About the Missile
- The new missile followed the desired quasi ballistic trajectory and reached the designated target with high degree accuracy, validating the control, guidance and mission algorithms.
- All the sub-systems performed satisfactorily. All the sensors deployed near the impact point across the eastern coast, including the downrange ships, tracked the missile trajectory and captured all the events.
- The missile is powered by a solid-propellant rocket motor and many new technologies.
- The missile has a range of 150-500 kilometres and can be launched from a mobile launcher.
- The missile guidance system includes state-of-the-art navigation system and integrated avionics.
- The advanced missile has been developed in a way to be able to defeat interceptor missiles. It has the ability to change its path after covering a certain range mid-air.