Published on: December 23, 2021
http://thebandchoice.com/test The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) unanimously passed a resolution permitting a carve-out in sanctions against the Taliban to facilitate the delivery of humanitarian aid to Afghanistan. It was put forward by USA
ABOUT UNSC RESOLUTIONS
- Formal expressions of the opinion or will of United Nations organs.
- Adopted by the fifteen members of the Security Council (UNSC).
- According to UN Charter
- Draft resolution on non-procedural matters is adopted if nine or more of the fifteen Council members vote for the resolution, and if it is not vetoed by any of the five permanent members
- Draft resolutions on “procedural matters” can be adopted on the basis of an affirmative vote by any nine Council members.
- Resolutions by the Security Council are legally binding.
- If the council cannot reach consensus or a passing vote on a resolution, they may choose to produce a non-binding presidential statement instead of a Resolution. These are adopted by consensus. They are meant to apply political pressure—a warning that the Council is paying attention and further action may follow.
- One of six main organs of the United Nations
- Primary responsibility – maintaining international peace and security
- Meet whenever peace is threatened.
- 15 members of which 5 are permanent and 10 are non-permanent members
- Non-permanent members elected for two-year terms by the UN General Assembly.
- Five permanent members are- US, UK, France, Russia, and China.
- Only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions to member states.